What is Universal Credit?

As part of the UK Governments Welfare Reform, several benefits are being abolished and being replaced with one single payment called Universal Credit (UC). 

Universal Credit IconThe affected benefits are:

  • Housing Benefit (help towards your rent costs)
  • Income Support (IS)
  • Income Based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)
  • Income based Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Tax Credits
  • Budgeting Loans

Other benefits will continue as normal.

Universal Credit Owl LogoDo I qualify for UC? 

UC is currently being paid to first time (newly unemployed) single claimants of working age (over 18 and under pension credit age) or those who have changed from one benefit to another, whether in or out of work.

  • UC is means tested and you must have less that £16k in capital to qualify.
  • You can apply if you have a habitual right to reside in the UK.
  • It is intended that UC will be rolled out to everyone of working age by 2017.
  • Pensioners are not affected at the moment however, after the roll out couples must apply for UC if one person is of working age.

Click here for our UC guide including "frequently asked questions" and how to apply