Your right to compensation for Alterations and Improvements

Under the terms of the Housing (Scotland) Act 2001 you may be able to receive compensation from us for improvements you have made to your home since 30 September 2002.

In order to qualify for this compensation we must have given you permission to carry out the improvement and compensation payments will only be made at the end of your tenancy.

You can get compensation for certain improvements that were started on or after 30 September 2002. These include installing, replacing or fitting:

  • A bath or shower;
  • Cavity wall insulation;
  • Sound insulation;
  • Double glazing, replacing external windows or fitting secondary glazing;
  • Draught proofing external doors or widows;
  • Pipes, water tanks or cylinders;
  • A kitchen sink;
  • Loft insulation;
  • Rewiring, providing power or lighting or adding other electrical fixtures (including smoke detectors);
  • Security measures other than burglar alarms;
  • Space or water heating;
  • Storage cupboards in a bathroom or kitchen;
  • Thermostatic Radiator Valves;
  • A wash-hand basin;
  • A toilet;
  • A work surface for preparing food;
  • Mechanical ventilation in bathrooms and kitchens.

Decorating the inside of your home does not qualify for compensation, nor does erecting a shed or boundary fence

In order to qualify for compensation

You must make a claim in writing to the us within the period starting 28 days before your tenancy ends and ending 21 days after your tenancy comes to an end. In this claim you will have to tell us:

  • Your name and address;
  • What improvements you have made;
  • How much each improvement cost (we will need copies or receipts);
  • And the date the improvements were started and finished

We may also wish to inspect the improvement

We will work out the compensation you are due based on the cost of the improvement, the age of the improvement and its condition when your tenancy ends.
The maximum amount of compensation is £4,000 for each improvement. 

No compensation payment will be made if the amount would be less than £100.

It should be noted that if you owe Trust Housing Association (Wishaw and District Housing) any money
(for example, for unpaid rent or rechargeable repair)
then this would be deducted from any compensation due.