Maintenance and Repair

Frequently asked question to our Maintenance Department.

1. How do I report a repair?

You can report a repair by phone (01698-377200), by visiting the offices in person or by completing our online Report a Repair Form.

2. Why are my radiators not heating up well?

From time to time some of your radiators may not heat up so well or the pressure in your heating system may drop a little.  This is fairly normal in a gas central heating system and something that you can remedy yourself.  If we call out a heating engineer and your system simply needs bled or the pressure topped up you may be charged for the contractor's time.

3. How do I bleed my radiators?

A small amount of air in the system can cause radiators to be cooler than expected and this air should be eliminated by bleeding the air out of the radiator by using a small radiator key which you can buy from any DIY hardware store.  With the heating system on use turn the key slightly to open the valve at the top of the radiator.  As soon as you hear the air hiss out stop turning the key and hold it in position.

When the hissing sound stops quickly turn the valve in the opposite direction to close it.

As the air is bled out, the radiator will heat up to its normal temperature.  A tiny amount of water may leak out as soon as the air has cleared and it is best to have a cloth or paper towel below the valve to wipe any drips as the valve is re-closed.  Once the valve is closed tightly there should be no leaks or drips from the radiator.

4. What should I do if the pressure in my boiler drops?

It is the tenants' responsibility to top up the boiler.  Different boiler types have different controls for topping up pressure - usually a valve or sometimes a slot that is turned with a screw driver.  Your boiler instruction manual will guide you through this simple process.

The pressure gauge should sit between 1.5-2.0 when the boiler is running.  If the pressure keeps dropping then there may be a leak in one of the heating pipes.  Report this fault to us and we will attend as soon as we can.

Particularly cold temperatures can cause a drop in gas pressure and, in extreme cases, can cut off your gas supply.  Unfortunately we can do nothing to restore the gas supply and you must contact Scotia Gas Networks on their National Gas Emergency number 0800 111 999.

5. What should I do with Frozen Pipes / Toilets?

When temperatures drop below freezing keep your heating on, even at a low temperature.  This will help keep the water in the pipes flowing.

If pipes do freeze and you can easily access the area where the pipes are you can try to defrost them with a gentle heat from a low voltage fan heater, or similar.  If the pipes are within a kitchen cupboard leave the doors open to let the heat in to them.  Do not use a gas heater as this fierce heat could damage the pipes and cause a burst.

Keep an eye on things as the pipes defrost, in case there is a leak, and be ready to turn the water off if necessary.

If pipes do burst report this to us immediately and turn the water off at the stop cock.  Use buckets / towels to contain water leakage as much as possible to minimise damage to the building fabric and your own possessions.

6. What should I do if I suspect I have burst pipes?

If you suspect you have burst pipes you should

  • Turn off the water at the stop valve. If possible, collect water for washing, and flushing the toilet.
  • Turn on all cold taps to drain the water supply. Call us, or if outside office hours contact our Emergency Contractors (for general emergencies - 0800 999 2520, for heating/hot water emergencies - 01698-533917).
  • Turn off the central heating system and any water heaters.
  • It is possible water may drip on to electrical sockets or wires, if there is any chance this may happen switch off the electricity supply at the mains.
7. Who is responsible for clearing snow covered paths and driveways?

It is your responsibility to clear snow from pathways and driveways.  We cannot clear snow from roads or footpaths. North Lanarkshire Council will clear main roads and will provide grit bins for residents' use on minor roads.

8. My electrics have tripped after using one of my appliances, whose responsibility is it to repair this?

This is the tenants' responsibility:

  • Go to the panel of small switches beside your electricty meter;
  • One of the switches will have 'tripped' down to shut of the supply when the faulty appliance was plugged in;
  • Simply push the switch back up and this will re-connect power to your sockets;

In order to check if the appliance is faulty you can try plugging it in to another socket.  If the electrics trip again this indicates that the appliance is faulty and should be repaired or replaced.

9. Why does my smoke detector and CO2 monitor beep intermittently?

This indicates that the battery is running low and should be replaced.

When the battey within your smoke detector needs to be replaced, the detector will emit a short high-pitched beep approximately every 45 seconds.  Remove the detector from the ceilling either by gently turning the casing or folding down the cover and detach the battery slot.  Lift out the battery and disconnect it from the battery leads. Connect the new 9 volt battery to the leads and replace the battery slot.  Reconnect the detector casing and test the unit as above.  We recommend that you replace the battery within your smoke detector evey year.

If you have installed a new battery and the detector continues to beep this indicates a fault and you should contact us.